Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dark Rainbow Love Poems

More poems from the past. These were among the first ones published in a local Sunday supplement magazine. I am still digging for more. Don’t hold your breath; I don’t intend to stop doing this until all the dust is blown off the covers.


And Now

(The morning was for him,
Free to be had.
Everything beckoned, everything cried.
But he was brought up in isolation,
Strong enough to be sad.)

He closes the windows,
Snubbing half the din.
Still he can see the flowers.
Their fragrance hangs
On his cheeks.
Tempted to reopen the windows,
He remembers his strength.
To darkness he gives in,
Allowing a crack to exist.
The morning is screaming.

With grace and an unsettled mind,
He notices dust
In an untrampled corner of the room.
Bending on seldom-used knees,
Hearing lightning tear,
Thunders his back.
He draws a heart on the floor.

Powder sticks to cold fingers.
He tastes it, bitter with age.

Frowns won’t take away youth.
Amid the wavering dawn,
An attempted smile
Will settle for a smirk.
Feeling safe,
He takes three rabbit strides.


I love you

You face wrapped
by ancient roots
like jealous lovers.
Kites lay their eggs
in you ears.
I don’t know why,
but I incubate mine
in your mouth.
When I sleep
I huddle tight
in warm breasts.
I am the perverted parasite
too scared to say,
‘I love you.’


Unblinded

All that is white
come crushing in.
What is left must
all be black,
close behind follow.
Sleep and will,
the lack of it,
tempt what comes.
Then war is given birth to.
Somewhere around here
must be the rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment